8.06.2011

Hello world

Well, here I am.  I'm not sure why, exactly, but I am.  I've been thinking about starting to do some writing again, and I started to write in a notebook, which lasted three days.  I wrote on day one and day three.  So, it's possible that it only lasted two days, and I took a break in the middle.  You decide.

You know, assuming there's actually a you who isn't me.  Because right now, it's certainly just me.

But, I digress.

So, I knock out several pages (the last line, if I recall, is something like, "I really think I'll stick with it this time."), then lose the notebook.  I do not replace it.

Fast forward a month or so, and I read this short, funny post:  goo.gl/ef94q

Oh, epod...

Why did this post have such an effect on me that I decided to start blogging?  Is it because I consider myself smarter than epod?  No, I highly doubt that I'm smarter than her, so that can't be it.  Is it because I haven't read a single word of her blog, aside from that post?  No, although that most certainly IS true.  I really don't have a clue why, but here we are.

Will this be more successful than my previous attempts (two notebooks and a myspace blog)?  I have no clue.  Will I ever stop writing in rhetorical questions?  Don't bet on it, Bucko.Why would I do that?  I wouldn't.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to talk about here, or whether anyone on the planet is going to read this (though, I imagine that epod will read this post, but primarily because I'm going to send it to her*--hi, epod!).  I would imagine that topics that will end up on the veggie platter are:

Politics
Baseball
Education
Kickball (well, I'm just being honest)
Philosophical musings
Terrible, terrible poetry

Ok, probably not poetry, but if I do post any, it will most certainly be terrible, terrible.

Will it last?  I still don't know, and I don't understand why I keep asking that question.

In the computer programming world, a programmer traditionally programs code to print or display "Hello World" in order to verify that the system is working properly.**  That's basically what this post is for me.  It's a little test to see how this thing works.  But it's also a nice little welcome to anyone who is pretty bored, searches for a random blogger site, and lands here.  Thanks for playing along.




*I actually am planning to read more of your writing, epod!  I started reading a couple of random posts, then I figured, hell, I should write something, so I didn't finish them.  Let's be honest, who FINISHES reading anything online, anyway?  I'd be stunned if someone stumbles across this site AND makes it this far along.  So, well, you know.
**I learned this from a college roommate, and later from my brother.  Fear not, though, it was verified by wikipedia, so we know it must be true:  http://goo.gl/z7Ky7

2 comments:

  1. I am honored by the mention, and very pleased that you will be blogging...or at least that you blogged this time. I'm hoping that you stick with it, but in case you don't, I'll offer the two following comment options:
    a) I look forward to reading more from you.
    b) Welp, it was a good run...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my way of guaranteeing that, just in case option b wins out, there's more than just one comment.

    ReplyDelete